Prof. Dr. Jeff Balch
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
- Professor, Stellenbosch University, South Africa
- Africa Centre for Social Change
- Africa Centre for HIV & AIDS Management
- Director International Development, Health Promotion South Africa Trust
- International Advisory Board, Legacy International
- Ambassador, Mimi Moto Clean Cookstoves
- Director Research & Evaluation, European Parliamentarians with Africa
- Steering Committee, Global Partnership for Effective Development Cooperation
- Advisory Group, Effective Institutions Platform
Dr. Balch is an internationally renowned expert in democracy support and development in Africa, with over 30 years experience in design, successful delivery and evaluation of institutional reform and thematic policy improvement initiatives. An integrity-driven leader, he has advised governments, parliaments and civil society in some 20 European and 25 African countries, as well as the regional institutions in Europe and Africa. With over 15 years experience at Director level, he has led organizational assessment and restructuring processes, has strong diplomatic skills and a track record for developing strategic partnerships and long-term funding relationships, with a proven ability to lead teams of professionals on different continents and build consensus among diverse groups. He: is equally at ease interacting with political leaders, executives, academics and community leaders; values diversity and inclusiveness; specializes in strategic communications and political advocacy; and has managed programs on a range of social issues, including child rights, gender equality, climate change, migration and terrorism.
Dr. Balch holds a Ph.D. degree in International Relations from the University of Sussex and Bachelor of Arts and Master of Arts degrees from California State Universities.
He was knighted at the rank of Officer in the Order of Orange-Nassau in 2012.